Wonderful Citrus is seeking a Director of Food Safety. Responsible for improving, managing, monitoring and verifying company’s food safety programs, in accordance with the company’s good manufacturing practices, standardized requirements, policies, and procedures. The Director will be responsible for ensuring that programs and processes are put into place to ensure compliance to the changing FSMA regulations are proactively established, in place and monitored frequently. Provide direct technical support and assistance, resolving technical issues, promoting, implementing, improving and monitoring the processes and systems, necessary to sustain company’s defined GSFI certification status.
Wonderful Citrus is America’s largest integrated grower, shipper, and packer of fresh citrus, including clementine/mandarin, navel and Valencia oranges; lemons; limes; grapefruits; and other citrus varieties. Wonderful Citrus owns, cultivates and harvests more than 58,000 acres of fresh citrus and ships around the world each year to ensure a year-round supply. Our citrus can be found in all channels of distribution, with our consumer brands most visible in the produce department of grocery stores across America under the flagship consumer brands of Wonderful Halos mandarins and Wonderful Sweet Scarletts Texas Red grapefruit. For more, visit:www.wonderfulcitrus.com, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Ensure compliance to California, Local Counties and federal food safety standards, including (but not limited to) FSMA, FDA and USDA requirements
• Ensure that company’s processes and systems are adequate to implement, achieve and maintain GFSI certifications (BRC, PrimusSQF, SQF or FSSC 22000 – accordingly company’s determination), in coordination with all company’s facilities and Food Safety teams
• Support in periodic HACPP reviews, implementation of FS/Quality data collection records, and implementing/maintaining necessary calibration programs for all lines of products
• Management of the development, implementation and maintenance of the quality systems.
• documentation system, claim investigations and corrective actions
• documentation filing, internal auditing and management of the communication of quality information internally and externally
• Work directly with other Regional Food Safety Leaders through a Steering Team concept that will enable cooperation of best practices and processes that can be implemented throughout the Wonderful Citrus enterprise
• Coordinate Food Safety Programs and initiatives within other Departments such as Farming and Harvesting to ensure fully integrated Food Safety systems are in place throughout the manufacturing process
• Facilitate and coordinate efficient and effective Quality and Food Safety standards, in line with customer expectations and achieving company’s performance targets
• Develop employees knowledge of FS and Quality through periodic training, annual reviews, monitoring, and mentoring
• Conduct traceability exercises, Mock recalls and provide necessary costumers follow ups related to eventual FS complains
• Support and mentoring Sanitation group in order to improving sanitation and micro-testing programs in accordance with FS and Quality Standards needs
• Work closely to Operations, Quality and Sales teams in the areas of quality program Management, inspection coordination and testing requirements, including microbiological testing and Pest Control programs eventually lab management
• Support implementation of necessary systems and databases, including but not limited to: document control, Internal non-conformance tracking/resolution and SOP writing
• Support necessary internal quality assurance systems and maintain infrastructure system (e.g. QFSM- electronic Data collection of CTQ and CTFS) to improve and support company growth and continuous improvement
• Maintain current knowledge of trends and changes affecting food safety and develop and recommend appropriate program changes, to ensure customers and governmental compliance.
• Advising Operations management staff of any food safety issues in addition to presenting plausible solutions.
• Lead FS internal audits (monthly, quarterly, and annual) including monitoring of internal CARs and Non and associated reporting as required
• Maintain a team environment among department and supervisory staff
• Work and communicate directly with the VP of Quality and Food Safety -Wonderful to ensure continuity of processes and procedures are applied within the Wonderful Citrus operations
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Strong leadership skills Strong verbal and written English communication skills
• Strong implementation and execution skills
• Good organizational and planning skills
• Ability to be relatable, personable, and productive within a team environment
• Strong Analytical skills
• Four-year degree (BA or BS), Food Science, Biology, Microbiology, Engineering (could be consider as well the candidate’s personal working experience at equivalent functions)
• Previous experience in produce or food processing fields a must
• 5-7yrs experience in Quality Assurance or Food Safety management positions expected
• Operational level experience; driving quality assurance in a high-volume production environment is desired
• Must have proven experience and participation (at management level) at Production, Quality/FS and/or Sanitation areas, of successful implementations of GFSI’s approved certification schemas (BRC or SQF highly preferred)
• Deep Understanding of GFSI certification standards (or other stringent certification schemes) requirements a must
• Experience in generating Food Safety and Quality documentation and reporting, including submitting and implementing corrective action plans
• Technical knowledge of quality and food safety systems, and Solid understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s)
• Experience dealing with regulatory agencies audits (i.e. USDA, FDA, etc)
• Presentation and Communication with an Executive audience a must
• Proven ability to lead teams and initiate constructive changes without daily direction
• Computer proficient in Excel, Access, Word, etc…Capable of quickly learn and interact with structural Databases and programs (e.g.: Oracle OPM and specific Quality Software packages - QWB, QFSM, ChartRunner, etc)
• Bilingual (Spanish) a plus.
Wonderful Citrus is part of The Wonderful Company, a successful, fast-growing privately held $4 billion company with 8,500 employees worldwide. We’ve made Wonderful Pistachios one of America’s top-selling salty snacks. We’ve turned pomegranates and POM Wonderful into a worldwide phenomenon. Wonderful Halos is the No. 1 mandarin orange in America. FIJI Water is the No. 1 premium bottled water in America. JUSTIN Wine produces California’s top-selling, high-end Cabernet Sauvignon. And Teleflora is the world’s largest flower delivery service.
The Wonderful Company has a long-standing commitment to corporate social responsibility, including more than $120 million invested in environmental technologies and sustainability research, $45 million in charitable giving and education initiatives every year, $30 million toward the construction of a new charter school campus in California’s Central Valley, and innovative health and wellness programs, including two new, free primary care clinics for employees and their dependents.
The Wonderful Citrus Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status or protected veteran status, ancestry, age or any other categories protected by law.